Why I am running for re-election
I am excited to build on the momentum of the last seven years and I am eager to advance solutions to the challenges facing our community, finding ways to move forward, together. I feel I am in mid stride and have more to contribute to public life on Salt Spring.
- To re-affirm my promise, as a Trustee, to adhere to the “preserve and protect” mandate of the Islands Trust.
- Working with other agencies, support development of an integrated strategic plan for the island with an initial emphasis on Ganges.
- Facilitate a much needed and overdue OCP review, addressing the realities of climate change including reduction of GHG emissions, need for water storage and management, fire protection and sea level rise.
- Work with the CRD and Provincial government to provide affordable housing and shelter for the homeless.
- Respond to the need for farm worker housing by aligning our by-laws with the ALC regulations.
- Pursue changes to building codes to facilitate and encourage rainwater harvesting and storage, enhanced use of solar power and support of green technologies.
- Pursue more effective local government, working with local groups, the Islands Trust, CRD, improvement districts and the Provincial Government.
- Enhance coordination and cooperation among stakeholders and local governance agencies including First Nations, the CRD and Improvement Districts. This will include regular public meetings.
- Provide transparent and regular feedback to the community as part of a commitment to public accountability.
Other vital community issues which I support:
- Improved access to mental health support
- Medical drop-in clinic
- Zoning for high density/low impact housing (Eco-villages).
- Community centre for all ages
- An integrated SSI governance website
- A shared space for SSI government agencies
- Laundromat in town
- Improve roads and widen shoulders
- Deal with traffic congestion, particularly Saturday market traffic
- Improved trails and integrated pedestrian/cycle paths
- Food security: encouragement of local farming.
- Updated regulations for live aboards.
- Change code to allow for composting toilets
- Derelict boat removal from shorelines
My track record
During my tenure as Trustee, I am proud to have fostered a more positive political climate. We’ve moved from an atmosphere that was often abrasive and confrontational, to one that is largely collaborative and constructive. I have provided open, transparent, cooperative leadership in land use planning and implementation matters.
Significant projects with which I have been involved included:
- Implementation of the Riparian Area Regulations as required by the Provincial Government.
- Completion of a Governance Study
- The Incorporation study and subsequent referendum
- Commencement of a plan for Ganges village, starting with the harbour walk
- Completion of the Industrial lands assessment, identifying needs for industrial lands and possible sites.
- Implementation of a coordinated plan among responsible agencies for water management on the island (Salt Spring Island Water Preservation Agency)
- Legalizing suites in some areas as a pilot project. Suites are now legal in over half the island.
- Legalization of seasonal cottages for full time rental.
- Rezoning for five affordable significant housing projects (some 250 units are in process)
- Promotion of rainwater catchment and alternate sources of water
- Groundwater study through SSIWPA
- Chair of Financial Planning Committee for the Islands Trust. Property taxes increased by only 3% while I have been in office over seven years.
- Active member of the Salt Spring Alliance and, in particular, the Governance Working Group
What I bring to the table
- Seven years of experience as Trustee
- Strong financial background as a Chartered Accountant
- Many years of experience in business, administration, education and human resource management
- A career as a mediator and facilitator, specializing in family and business dispute resolution
- Extensive experience as decision maker through arbitration work
- A proven ability to work with individuals, groups and the community, facilitating communication, encouraging collaboration and cooperation.
- A deep love for Salt Spring Island and our community. I believe Salt Spring is among the few places left on earth where compromise and consensus can prevail, a place where the needs and desires of the community take precedence over the inclinations of any one individual.